Sunday, November 3, 2013

Medical exam

The longer we are in China the harder it becomes for me to blog, we are exhausted and any free moments seem to be spent napping or playing and trying to bound with our baby girl. She is a tough nut and truth be told we are having a very hard time. She seems to have bounded with us to some extent and prefers us to others, but she is also 20months old and has been given zero discipline or opportunities to experience new things and been taught how to act. So we are trying to balance gaining her trust and affection with reining in her holy terror side.....hard doesn't even begin to describe this roller coaster of ups and downs.
To make things harder discipline in China is impossible. Yesterday we were in line at the Starbucks in the hotel shopping area. My husband was in line and I was trying to entertain Charlotte. She kept wanting to pick up and move around the glass mugs they have for sale. I told her "no" and tried to redirect her to something else. It failed and she kept going for the mugs while starting into one of her tantrums. Finally I just picked her up and removed her from the temptation and we went out into the hallway and waited. She went into full 1 and a 1/2 year old mega temper tantrum blow up. I will be honest I have never seen anything like this girl can dish out. Well every woman came running out of all the shops trying to make her happy, handing her candy, drinks, books, you name it. I am trying hard and telling them she is fine, no thank you, I got this, etc. It was not working. We finally broke away with a happish baby, treats and drinks. So I guess the reward bad behavior here!?!? It is like my nightmare come true :)
Anyway, let me try and get back on track. Today was the first of our appointments to allow us to get Charlotte's immigration visa to the United States. Every adopted child needs to have a quick medical exam before their visa can be issued. I was very stressed about this exam because I fully expected Charlotte to go complete dragon baby on the doctors and nurses, but she did AWESOME! Not one tear shed. The exam is very minimal and you don't really get any information from it either. We learned her weight.....only 8.8k or 19.4 lbs fully dresses, shoes, clean diaper the whole deal, so my best guess is about 19lbs nakie. It's so hard to tell from the photos but she is shockingly small.
They also just listened to her chest, looked in her mouth, and did a pretty general and fast visual look all over her body.
So glad it is over and we can move onto the next step of our consulate appointment in a couple of days. One more step closer to home!! We have enjoyed China but miss our babies at home so so so much!!







3 comments:

  1. Hi - just found your blog from another blog. Congratulations! She is sooo precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following Along and praying for you for a longtime, and I'm overjoyed for you! Congratulations! Take one day at a time, It will only get better!! Thank You for taking the time to update.....Charlotte is precious. So happy she is.FINALLY in your arms!!

    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the pictures and so appreciating the honesty! Hang in there. Hang in there. Hang in there. You are closing in on the end of this marathon. Hang on just a little longer. You CAN do this!!!

    ReplyDelete