Well, guess what?
Adoption is all about the surprise.
Surprise we have a child for you.
Surprise this is their age.
Surprise this is their special need.
Surprise the medical records were a bit off this is really what their
need is.
The surprises don’t stop.
Right now I am struggling with the first
surprise, the when will we be matched with our child. I just want to know when. I would be equally happy with an answer of
next week as I would with the answer of January. I just need to know when, to put my nerves at
rest. My husbands advice. “Just try and forget we are adopting.” Um, yeah don’t think that is going to be
happening ever!
I also want to start doing things for my child while we
wait. But this is nearly impossible we
know nothing about her (or the slim chance of him.) We don’t know her age (it could be anywhere
from 6 months to 3 years old.) We certainly
don’t know her size. We don’t know if we
will be setting up a crib or a big kid bed.
If we did buy her some clothing
or toys would they just be sitting around for months maybe years collecting
dust. In short adoption is hard and we haven’t even come close to the really hard parts yet.
When I talked to my agency yesterday and inquired about our
estimated wait I was told that they really didn’t know. But the current trends would put us at about
a 5-15 month wait to be matched from now.
This was both a relief and sad moment for me. I know waiting a few more months would have a
lot of benefits for us; heck a few more months to save money and be able to not
stress about the trip to China would be great.
However, to be honest deep down I was so sad that it would be that much
longer I was really, really hoping to hear only 1-3 more months. I kind of knew that wouldn’t happen but I did
wish it.
So I think it is time to put the adoption timeline thoughts
out of my head as best as I can, and try and find a few project to keep me
busy. I have a few things on my plate
now that will help, surprises for all of you (I have no problem surprising
others! Ha ha) Summer time will also help.
Having my kids home from school and keeping up with them and their activates
will give my mind little time to wander.
Hi there! We are also adopting from China (not as far along as you are) and I just have to say that you have such a great attitude about the wait. I need some of that to rub off on me! :)
ReplyDeleteI was shocked though to see that your agency said it might be up to 15 months for a referral. I had no idea the wait could be THAT long! I hope it will move much more quickly for you!